Chef Jason Neroni’s Heirloom Tomato Salad with Green Chermoula is a vibrant, light and refreshing summer salad. Heirloom tomatoes are in peak season and Chef Neroni loves to use a variety, including Purple Cherokee and Brandywine tomatoes. At first glance, this recipe might look intimidating, but don’t let that fool you, it’s definitely worth all the steps. For the best results, stroll down to your local farmers market for the tomatoes.
Yield: 4 servings
- 8-10 Ripe Heirloom Tomatoes
- Green Chermoula*
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- Picked Opal Basil, Thai Basil, Lemon Basil, medium leaves preferred, about a 1/2 cup of each
- 20 White Anchovies (Boquerones), cut in half
- Crispy Shallots**
- Cut the Heirloom Tomatoes into 8th’s, season with sea salt.
- Place tomatoes on a plate. using a squeeze bottle, dress the tomatoes with the green chermoula, just enough, don’t over dress.
- Next, spread the basil leaves all over, like they fell from the sky.
- Dress the salad again, but this time with olive oil and lemon juice. Just to lightly season.
- Garnish the salad with the white anchovies and shallots. Making sure to spread evenly.
- Serve immediately.
- Canola Oil, to coat pan
- 350 g Shallot
- 75 g Ginger
- 175 g Garlic
- 30 g Anchovy
- 30 g Capers
- 40 g Chermoula Spice
- 15 g Coriander Seeds
- 10 g Cumin Seed
- 10 g Smoked Paprika
- 75 g Parsley
- 300 g Cilantro
- 500 g Fumet
- 300 g Coconut Milk
- Lime Juice, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 2 g Xanthan Gum
Green Chermoula Directions:
- Sweat shallot, ginger, and garlic with a pinch of salt.
- Add Anchovy and capers and cook over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and add the chermoula spice, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and smoked paprika. Toast spices until fragrant.
- Add fumet and coconut milk. Season with salt. Add cilantro and parsley and let steep covered with plastic for 30 minutes.
- Blend in the blender with the xanthan gum until completely smooth. Add salt and lime juice to taste.
- Pass through a chinois and chill down. Taste again to adjust seasoning.
Crispy Shallot Directions:
Slice shallots on a mandolin, very thin, toss in wondra flour, fry at 350 degrees until golden brown. Season with sea salt.